Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Interview #12: Voices



It's always a great pleasure to meet new bands from the favorite genre.
Actually these guys released their first EP and a friend suggested them to me.
I totally dig their stuff and i would like to share a great band with all of you!
They really have talent. 
So here's my interview with them, a great way to learn about bands in my opinion!

Check out Voices!

 
How did the band get started? What are the reasons?
Jake: Voices formed from the remaining members of a local band out of Birmingham, AL. For the most part we already had everything together and knew what we wanted this band to sound like.

 How would you describe your sound?
Jake: When I was writing the EP, I wanted a more aggressive, melodic, and fast sound than we had before. So I would like to say that our sound is aggressive, melodic, and fast, and I hope it came across as so in the EP.

 Are there bands that influenced your sound?
 Jake: Absolutely. Life In Your Way and Shai Hulud were 2 bands I was listening
 to a lot at the time. I wouldn't say we sound anything like either of those bands, but
I think fans of both bands can enjoy our music.

 What does your band name mean? Who came up with the idea for it?
Toots: I came up with the name “Voices” to let people draw their own meanings relating to their life in a personal way. It struck me as a term that could explain the multiple “voices” in this world either bringing you down or lifting and holding you up! This also ties into the album, “Anchors”, which stands for the people holding you down. Following the right voices will lead you to the right path, with religion, faith, and love.

Which genre defines your band the most?
 Jake: I'm not too big on defining music with too specific genres, but I would say Melodic Hardcore is a pretty general way of describing it.

 Did you know what kind of music you wanted to play before starting the band?
Case: We all had a basic idea of what kind of music we wanted to play. Jake, our guitarist really wrote most of the music, and I threw in my two sense about how I wanted the drums to sound. We wanted to keep the post-hardcore heaviness, along with the melodic-hardcore, so we could have more depth.

 What do you want to say with your music? Is there a message to the listeners?
Case: The band is a positively influenced band. We adore our fans, and we adore our neighbor bands. Our message basically tells you to not give up. Have faith in something, whether it’s in religion, or whether it’s just a dream you’ve always had. Be passionate about something.

What are your favorite bands?
 Jake: Brand New, Bayside, and Bad Religion. Lately I've been listening to Balance and Composure, Joyce Manor, The Wonder Years, and Hostage Calm.
 Case: I listen to a lot of lighter bands like Saosin, Taking Back Sunday, Amberlin, Bayside, etc. I also listen to a lot of crappy “scenester” music, sue me.
Toots: Listener, Take it Back, Fireworks, and of course The Wonder Years!!

 Where do you get your inspirations, beside from other bands, especially for your lyrics?
Jake: Things I go through daily, things I see in the world around me, and people I see day to day.

What are your interests beside the band? Do you guys just do the band or do you work/go to school/study?
 Case: I’m actually going to be a senior in Highschool this year. We plan on hitting it hard right when I get out of school, so for now, we write as much as possible, and play local shows. I also have a part time job to help pay for equipment and gas.
 Toots: The band is my main priority. I plan to go to school eventually to pursue a career in the arts. In the meantime, I plan to travel as much as possible!
Jake: I'm not in school at the moment. I don't really do much outside of the band. Just hanging out with friends and keeping busy any way I can.

 What things are coming up? News about new releases, new merch, line up changes?
 Case: We do this with all the intentions of being a signed, touring act. The work that has to be put forth to do this is tremendous, but it's something we are all passionate about. We also will be hitting the studio at 456 Recordings W/ Brian Hood to add two more tracks to our EP: Anchors.

 Has anyone played in other bands before?
 Case: I played in a local band W/ Josh D.(Guitar) called A Path Less Traveled for about two years before we broke up. 
 Jake: I've played in a Punk band called Arsenic Rouge, a metal band called Oh Clarity, and Buckshore before Voices. I also currently do vocals in a Pop Punk band called Hangman.

 Are there any bands you would like to see on this page in the future? Are there bands you would recommend me to take a listen to?
 Toots: Alabama rep to Aim for the Day and Gideon

What was your sickest show?
 Jake: Our EP release show was pretty sick. Our drummers old band's reunion show was equally sick, and we played with Attila back in December, and that was probably our biggest crowd.

Which bands would you like to tour with and how would your favorite tour look like?
Jake: I would love to tour with The Ghost Inside. Those dudes are so down to earth and I enjoy their music a lot. Oh and Bayside.

Any messages left to fans, friends or family?
 Case: We have seen a lot of support as of late, and we can’t explain to you how much we appreciate it. We will talk to anyone, whether it’s on Facebook, Twitter, or in person. Come talk to us.
 Jake: Don't dwell on things that bring you down. There's always a bright side.
Toots: Thanks to anyone that has ever supported us in anyway. Thank you to the lovers and haters for always making it interesting for us. Keep promoting us, we need all the help we can get. Remember to lead your life in the right direction to end up further than you ever though was possible! Follow your dreams to the fullest!

 
Voices are:
Jacob Lett(Toots): Main Vocals 
 Jake Vintson: Guitar/clean vocals 
Joshua Dominicali: Guitar 
Case Snedecor: Drums 
Taylor Burr: Bass

 Follow them:
Facebook

 Twitter:
 @Voicesal
 @Jacob_Lett
 @Jake_Vintson
 @JoshDomii
 @_Taylor_Burr
@CaseSned

A big thanks from me to these guys, for their interest and the fast answer!
Check them out and fall in love!

Support these guys! ♥