Thursday, July 14, 2011

Interview #14: Oh, Manhattan


Obviously Post-Hardcore is more then i have thought it is.
This band came into my life and to my luck, i got a new perspective to this genre. Finally i know, that Post-Hardcore is more then just the sceneshit i know, beside some really good bands, where this band definitely is settled to.
Thanks to Oh, Manhattan!

What moved you guys to start this band?
Kodi: It feels like hair metal is reproducing itself in a different form. I, personally was starving for something a little more edgy.
Hance: I actually joined the band after it was formed.. I joined for the reasons that Kodi said. I wanted to play music that stood out just a little.

You're profile says, you guys are playing Post-Hardcore, in my opinion a really melodic and catchy kind of it. Explain your sound a little bit.
Kodi: Post Hardcore has adopted so many different definitions these days. It's gotten so broad that some would consider Attack Attack! to be post hardcore, whereas bands like Glassjaw and At The Drive in would be more fitting.
Hance: We try not not to think about labeling our sound under one specific genre. Not trying to make ourselves sound like elitist pricks or whatever, it's just less stressful when we don't claim one particular genre.

What influences your sound? Any bands?
Kodi: Mostly movies.. but I do enjoy listening to a lot of old indie stuff.
Hance: Well just from a vocal standpoint, I am influenced a lot by Spencer Chamberlain from Underoath. But I listen to a pretty broad spectrum of music. I'm also influenced a lot by my
family and friends and situations that arise in life.

Do you guys think Post-Hardcore defines you guys the most? If yes, explain why. You can also tell us what genres you would also bring together with your band.
Kodi: Yeah, as we played a good bit around the local scene, a lot of our friends seemed to think that Post-Hardcore was a good label for us to fall under. Really though, we just like to play catchy, but heavy music.
Hance: Agreed.

What does your band name mean? Do you guys complain it to something special?
Kodi: The name Oh, Manhattan is a reference to The Manhattan Project, which led to the building of the first atomic bomb. At the time, our old vocalist and I were very consumed by the entire Manhattan Project and all of the people that were brought in to be a part of it.
Hance: Our band explores a lot of different and weird concepts. A lot of our lyrics are about spiritual and emotional struggles, with some political stuff mixed in there along the way. But we never wanna tell anyone which side is wrong or right.. we just present situations in their raw form.. kinda saying: it is what it is, and it's up to you to decide what how you wanna approach it.

Is your guys' sound the one you wanted to play, at the point you started the band?
Kodi: I rarely notice that kind of stuff haha, it's more like a progression, you start with a guitar and a drum set just goofing around, then you find a style you cling to and it goes from there.
Hance: I agree. And our sound will probably progress more as time goes on. So it's hard to say really.

Do you guys spread a message with your music? If yes, tell us, if not just tell why you guys are making music.
Kodi: I believe our purpose is to dismantle what is popular now and create a new curve on which the endless cycle of music will repeat itself upon. I want future generations to be able to look back on our era and say, "oh, manhattan, ya that band was awesome," like i do with my favorite bands growing up and presently like Brand New, Bright Eyes, the Cure and Everytime I Die.

I'm really interested in what bands influence the single members, so what are your favorite bands. In personal or inside the whole band.
Kodi: Lol I think i have listed most of them throughout the interview! But ya Stray From The Path, Brand New, La Dispute, Copeland, At The Drive In, Comeback Kid, Deathcab for Cutie, Every Time I Die, etc.
Hance: Underoath, Brand New, Blindside, Silverstein, Taking Back Sunday.. I also really like a few metal bands like The Acacia Strain and For Today.

What are your lyrics generally about, and where do you get your inspirations?
Kodi: Mostly from movies we had seen or from personal investigations like supernatural vs. super scientific. The id and the inner struggle to determine the natural state of yourself and seeing what moral values stay in tact with the absence of consequence and it truly becomes spiritual warfare.

What are your interests beside the band?
We all do a ton of stuff. Personally, I am involved in the music industry and do booking/promotions and Hance and I do a lot of graphic design work. All of us have
odd jobs outside the band so we can make some money while we're at home.

What things are coming up from you? News about new releases or merch?
September 27, 2011 our debut album drops and we are all STOKED for that. it's been a looong time coming. We will also be posting new tour dates and new merch releases on our Facebook over the next month.

Tell us which bands, shared the stage with you.
Oh, we've played with a ton of cool bands: A Skylit Drive, Woe,Is Me, From First To Last, ISMFOF, Asking Alexandria, Kills N' Thrills, Attila, Thrash n Burn tour, etc..

Would you like to suggest some bands, i should check out? Or just suggest me to your friends, haha :)
Baby, Baby

Where was your sickest show?
Kodi: I'd say playing with A skylit drive and woe, is me in Atlanta. That show was packed out and all the bands were cool guys.
Hance: As far as crowds.. I'd say the same as Kodi. But personally, my favorite show was the first show that I ever played with the band, at a favorite venue of mine called The Movement Venue. There's something fun about playing for people you know.. most of the time ;)

Which bands would you love to tour with?
Stray From the Path, Glassjaw, Thrice, Coheed.

Any messages left to fans, friends or family?
WE LOVE ALL YOU GUYS! and we can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks for refreshing my perspective to Post-Hardcore! Your music finally gave me new thoughts on it!
It's not just the winy crap. It can also be hard as metal! 
Also a big thanks for the interview with you guys!

So if anyone of you would like to check out some Post-Hardcore, which finally has such a different sound then a lot of most bands i've heard, then check out The Anti-Da Vinci, i mean check out Oh, Manhattan!!!
Seriously, just do it!