Thursday, May 5, 2011

Interview #1: Isla Sorna



This is awesome, finally my first interview! Let me introduce you to a band, whose members are as awesome as their music. This band is one of my favorite bands too, also Corey, the singer, who actually is a good friend to me, was so free to do this interview with me!

Here we go...


Q: Where do you come from and how did you get the band started/what were the reasons?

A: I am originally from Spring Lake, North Carolina. At the age of three my family moved back to Charleston, West Virginia. I have always had a love for music and as a child dreamed of being on stage. I left my previous band, Months To Go, because I had gotten a good job but, didn't have very flexible hours. After being laid off of work, i got another job with much better hours and decided to start a Deathcore band just for fun. I contacted my former guitarist and drummer and later found Langdon to play guitar. things weren't really working out so, Langdon told me about his cousin Chris. I knew one drummer that was free at the time so, i contacted Tyler. a week or so later me (vocals), my cousin Travis (former bassist), Chris (guitar), Langdon (guitar), and Tyler (drums) got together in a little shack on Tylers property and jammed for the first time writing a song that was not on our EP and blood of man.


 Q: Tell us about your music/sound/style. What makes Isla Sorna's sound being it's sound?

A: I honestly think that we have a different tone than other local bands in our area. I think that we sound like a blend of monsters, within the ruins and a hint of the acacia strain and that's how it's been since the start but, we will be changing things up a little on our next EP.


Q: Where do you get your ideas, inspirations for the your music's lyrics and instruments?

A: My inspiration mostly comes from life experiences, past and present and not to mention my outlook on religion.


Q: Tell us about your band name, what does it mean, where does it come from?

Isla Sorna was the name of one of the islands from the movie jurassic park. there really isn't any true meaning to the name, just that we feel like it kind of sets a certain tone for our music. Big, loud, fun lol, i suppose.


Q: Which bands are your influences? / Which bands are your personal favorites? 

A:  King Conquer, Within the Ruins, After The Burial, For the Fallen Dreams, The Contortionist, American Me, Architects, etc. I could go on all day on what influences me! I can pretty much listen to anything other than country. Non-metal bands that influence me are, Modest Mouse, City & Colour, CCR, Iron and Wine, gotta slow it down sometimes lol

Q: Do you guys have a message, which shall be said through your music?

A: The message may be hard to get. My message is basically to live your life freely with no regrets and to stand up for what you believe in. I believe anyone can look at my words and find their own meaning in it.


Q: What things are coming up? Any news on new stuff, such as music, merch, and so on?

A: We are still working on merch at the moment, we are all a little indecisive at the moment and we are also working on a new EP. Can't say when we will start on it, or when we will be finished. Not yet anyway!


Q:  What was your sickest/best show, whats your dream venue and which band would you like to tour with and why?

A: That's a hard question, my dream tour would be with After the Burial, King Conquer, The Chariot, Norma Jean, For the Fallen Dreams, Attila, The Acacia Strain, Within the Ruins and Dr. Acula. I just love those bands.


Q: Any messages left to fans, friends, family?

A: Thank you everyone who has ever came to our shows, talked to us, told friends about us and the 1,194 people who downloaded our EP, I'd also like to say thanks to Langdon's family and Tyler's too for letting us practice so late, all the time! Thanks to And special thanks to Hendrik Bormann for all of your helping support towards Isla Sorna. 


... And a big thanks from me to Corey and Isla Sorna again! Thx for the time we had, though we live on distance lol, and i'm glad to found out about you, i will definitely dig the time we will share in future. And i see you guys, being a great attraction too :) Thanks a lot! 

Be sure to check Isla Sorna out! They are just amazingly awesome!

seriously, Hendrik.